first time lambing assistant

first time lambing assistant

Monday 4 April 2016

Going solo

Last week I was left to look after the whole flock whilst Archie was working away. This meant that I really had to step up to the mark.

The best bit of last week was when I spotted a breech birth and managed to run and catch the ewe, straddle her and pull the lamb out by myself. I didn't actually have time to find any gloves or the lubricant, but I knew I had to get on with it. There is a photo of the breeched lamb before I pulled it out below.

The biggest low was finding a ewe dead under a tree. I wish I knew how she died but it is an unknown. Her two twin lambs were using her body as a wind shelter and were crying for milk. I felt so awful taking them both back to the farm away but they are very strong lambs and are bottle feeding really well. They are the ones standing up under the heat lamp in the photo.

I am currently bottle feeding four lambs; the orphaned twins, Fleecy and one new one as of today. The latest addition is incredibly weak and is being stomach tubed.





No comments:

Post a Comment