first time lambing assistant

first time lambing assistant

Wednesday 23 March 2016

Assisted bull calf birth

I returned to Stodmarsh today to witness a breech birth of a bull calf. James and his brother, Laurie, used a calving jack to assist with the birth, as the calf was facing the wrong way around. I have uploaded a video so you can see the calf being born.

I am disappointed with myself that I did not feel the unborn calf when James offered. Admittedly, I was a bit nervous because it was not a straight forward birth.

I am hoping to be more "hands on" next time.

The bull calf was a great size and he stood up very soon.

A little green plastic ring was tied around his leg for identification purposes. This will be replaced with ear tags once the calf is a bit older.








No comments:

Post a Comment