first time lambing assistant

first time lambing assistant

Tuesday 15 March 2016

Clarice

I told myself I was not going to name any of the lambs so that I didn't get attached. Typically the one I did end up naming (Clarice) died this afternoon. Her mother rejected her so I had been fostering her and feeding her. We had tried to get another ewe to mother her, but none of them would accept her and they kept nudging her away from their udders. Archie thinks that her lungs had not properly developed sadly. This is the only death in the lambing shed that has really upset me and put me in a foul mood for the rest of the day.

We have been grazing some of the mothers in front of the house, but we are running out of grass so we have started to move them onto a bigger site.

Archie and our collie Fen have been rounding the lambs and ewes up, tagging the lambs and moving them on. Fen is a bit of a wuss as she cries in fright whenever a ewe goes to headbutt her, even when she is nowhere near. We are really lucky with Fen though, as she is brilliant and a very skilled member of our team.





No comments:

Post a Comment